220W Deployable Clamshell Solar Array (DCSA)
Flight Hardware | Flight Qualified | Space Proven
The Deployable Clamshell Solar Array (DCSA) is a compact, deployable 220W solar array that stows in 7U of volume. It deploys to a 24-panel, 192-cell, 2x 8S12P solar array in a single plane when released. Mechanical and electrical integration into a wide range of spacecraft architectures is simple and fast.
- Mass: ~5050g (44W/kg)
- Bounding volume: ~6970cm^3
- Bounding dimensions: 43.9cm x 13.6cm x 11.6cm
- CoG & MoI: Available on request
32.2% BoL solar cells are employed to yield a maximum peak power of 220W. The two halves of the array are electrically independent. Each half's solar string's POS and RTN nodes are wired fully redundantly, and are provided on flying leads. The two strings can be connected to the customer spacecraft's EPS in one of three configurations:
- 8S12P & 8S12P (20V@5.5A & 20V&5.5A)
- 16S12P (40V @ 5.5A)
- 8S24P (20V @ 11A)
In its stowed configuration, one of the two mirror-image clamshells is secured to the customer's spacecraft body, or to a customer-supplied articulated plate. The two clamshells are secured together in the stowed configuration via a customer-supplied release mechanism attached at the non-hinged end. When the release mechanism is energized, the unsecured clamshell rotates through 180 degrees, and then the solar array deploys outwards from the clamshells (see video).
A symmetric bolt/hole pattern is provided on the non-hinged end of the clamshells to facilitate mounting the customer's release mechanism. Frangible bolts or pin pullers are typically used.
The number of solar panels can be reduced (in increments of 2 panels) if less power or mass is required.
Please contact Pumpkin for pricing.
- Complete, assembled DCSA unit in stowed configuration
- Redundant POS and RTN 400mm flying leads for each half of the DCSA array (total of eight wires)
- Solar array irradiance test results
- Transport case
Does not include:
- Release mechanism
Using Pumpkin's proprietary PMDSAS solar panel technology:
- Each solar cell incorporates an integral bypass diode
- Each solar cell is bonded with extreme cell flatness to its panel
- Each solar cell string has redundant current paths
- Each solar cell string has redundant blocking diodes (for paralleling)
- Each panel has redundant bleed resistors from the cell minus potential to chassis ground
- Each panel undergoes a TVAC bakeout at over +60C for one hour
- Each panel is individually serialized
- Each panel is individually validated for solar irradiation performance
Pumpkin's PMDSAS solar panel / solar array technology has a 100% success rate in LEO and GTO orbits.
Customers must choose the release mechanism of their choice. The solar array is completely electrically isolated from any release mechanism.
DCSA Datasheet (brief)
DCSA zero-g flight deployment video
WARNING: Pumpkin products can expose you to chemicals, including Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.